Your rain gutters along with your roof, work together to protect your home from nature. While a storm pelts your home, your gutters direct water and moisture on a safe path away from your home. To keep your house protected, make sure to keep up with maintaining your gutters. Keep water where it belongs - off your basement floors and living room walls - by following our fall maintenance tips below.
Fall Maintenance Tips to Keep Your Gutter Working
- Consider Your Gutter’s Angles: Gutters need to slope gently toward the downspouts. You may need to make adjustments over time. Water can pool in areas without a proper slope. Test your slope by pouring water into your gutters with a hose. You may need to add supports or additional downspouts.
- Pick Out any Leaks: While you spray the hose to check the angle of the gutters, also be on the lookout for any holes or weak spots. Rusted areas are danger spots for leaks. Make sure to seal the inside and outside of these spots to keep your system working.
- Look Out for Wobbly Gutters: When water pools, it can pull your gutters away from your building. Add hanging brackets or other supports to keep the gutters safely attached to your building. Make sure to regularly check on this.
- Clean Out Leaves, Branches, & Debris: Autumn earns its more popular name of “fall” when the leaves color and drop. Don’t just rake leaves, make sure to clean them from your gutters to keep the autumn rains flowing where they need to be going. Gutter guard systems can help keep debris clear.
- Don’t Forget Your Downspout: Look for worn-out spots or leaks in your downspouts. Double-check any joined areas to ensure a seamless connection.
Call the Roofing Professionals for Complete Help
Roofs are tough to maintain, especially during transitional times like spring and fall. Make sure you are checking out the common trouble spots like worn out shingles, pooling water, or faulty gutters to ensure your roof will make it through the winter. Get a second opinion by calling in the professional contractors at JLM. Our crew has the experience, knowledge, and ability to solve your problems and protect your home from damage.
JLM Sheet Metal provides the best metal roofing and gutters to keep your home dry and comfortable. Give us a call today at (586) 756-4133.